Electric Vehicle (EV) Manufacturing
New product development is the lifeblood of your business. You need partners that can help you move your ideas from concept to production – fast. Learn how Fathom can help you accelerate your NPI.
Comprehensive Capabilities for the Electric Vehicle Industry
The electric vehicle (EV) industry is on the brink of a massive transformation:
- New roles are being imagined for tomorrow’s vehicles.
- Technology is being incorporated into EVs at an accelerating pace.
- Designers are rethinking the functionality, architecture, materials and methods that will be used to build them.
- EVs are surpassing the performance, acceleration and handling of even the most sophisticated internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles
- Traditional auto manufacturers and established EV manufacturers may soon be overtaken by fast-moving, nimble “digital native” startups that are optimized for short-run, flexible vehicle production.
As established manufacturers and startups compete to create the next breakthrough EV platform, they require fast, flexible product development and manufacturing. The ideal contract manufacturer must be organized to support a flexible development environment where rapid iteration accelerates the product-to-market timeline.
How Can Fathom Help You With Your EV Part Needs?
Fathom Digital Manufacturing is uniquely organized to meet the needs of today’s EV manufacturers. We have an extensive and proven track record for serving this industry. We offer:
- EV engineering and new product innovation expertise.
- One of the world’s broadest platforms of traditional and advanced digital manufacturing technologies.
- A business optimized for speed, responsiveness and adaptability.
- A focus on prototyping and low-to-mid-volume production.
- Competitive pricing.
- The ability to customize programs around your needs
Our business is uniquely configured to help:
- Refine your development concepts into prototypes.
- Optimize your part designs, material selection and production processes for optimal results, and
- Move your product through the full product-to-market process. We offer solutions for bridge production, short-run production or full production.
A Culture That Balances Technology with People
From the moment you contact us, you’ll be collaborating with an engineer who will work closely with you to fully understand your project needs. For example, we take a hands-on, personalized approach to ensure that potential manufacturability problems are identified and mitigated early in the review process. We’ll help you identify the optimal manufacturing solution for your project through part design review, material selection recommendations, tolerance reviews, and more; all to provide the best solution at a competitive cost.
Our broad portfolio of manufacturing technologies covers everything from CNC machining and metal forming to injection molding and the latest additive technologies. With over 25 manufacturing methods and 11 locations, we’re technology-agnostic. We’ll guide you to the solution that makes the most sense for your needs and the environment in which your parts must perform.
Technologies for the EV Industry
Additive technologies, such as Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM), Selective Laser Sintering (SLS), Selective Thermoplastic Electrophotographic Process (STEP), Multi Jet Fusion (MJF) and Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS), can be used to produce prototype EV parts for fit, finish and functionality purposes. In many cases, they can also be used to produce bridge and limited-run production parts.
Selective Thermoplastic Electrophotographic Process (STEP)
STEP technology, exclusively available from Fathom, enables the additive production of tough, durable, high-precision thermoplastic parts at injection molding costs and speeds. It is already being leveraged to produce a variety of prototype and short-run production parts for new EV models.
Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS)
DMLS can be used to produce complex metal parts quickly. This advanced additive technology can produce conformal cooling channels, optimized internal volumes and many other special features that cannot be successfully manufactured using traditional manufacturing techniques.
Injection molded parts are used throughout EVs, including but not limited to brackets, supports, cowlings and interior trim parts. Overmolding can be used to mold a softer material over a harder one to provide a cushioned surface, to meet a variety of aesthetic interior needs.
Urethane Casting is an ideal way to produce low- to mid-volume quantities of parts quickly for functional and cosmetic testing. It can be used to produce parts with complex geometries and fine detail. In addition, it can be used to create both rigid and flexible, elastomer-like parts. This is a great manufacturing solution to help bridge the gap between your first new product introduction (NPI) and the start of production (SOP).
Sheet Metal Fabrication
Sheet metal can be used to fabricate a variety of structural and non-structural interior and exterior components for EVs, including lightweight body panels and doors.
Metal Cutting & Precision Forming
EVs require many brackets and other small metal parts to hold wiring, batteries, radar/LIDAR systems and other assemblies. These parts can be fabricated by Fathom to your desired specifications with our Metal Cutting & Precision Forming services. We can also handle larger projects like vehicle center console frames and dashboard frames.
Automobile Part Manufacturing Applications
- Exterior trim body parts and paneling
- Undercar aero shields and paneling
- Battery pack componentry
- Underhood components
- Wiring harnesses
- Interior trim
- Mounts and brackets for in-dash navigation and entertainment systems
- Manufacturing tooling and fixtures
- and more
Why Choose Fathom?
- Fathom has worked with all of the major EV manufacturers.
- We have unmatched EV engineering expertise – at your service.
- A broad portfolio of complex manufacturing and finishing options.
- A single, turnkey supplier throughout your product development lifecycle – from prototyping to production.
- Customized product development and cost-effective manufacturing solutions to match your needs.